Tuesday, October 25, 2011

White and Black Halloween, Part 1

Hello Friends,

I'm still into my black and white Halloween decor, so I thought I'd share a few things from my black and white living room decor for part 1 of this post.  I'll post part 2 on Thursday when I will feature my tablescape in the dining room.

I added the wonderful vintage clock face that I picked up from Etsy this year behind little baseball head (as my husband calls him).


I always use old books to elevate our oil lamps but since I was really getting into the black and white theme, I decided I needed some neutrality to their usual pretty soft colors.  BUT I didn't really want to have to purchase black books (like I could find them anyway- I always look for pretty vintage black books-but I digress), so I dug through my paper stash and found some pretty black and white 12x12 scrapbook papers and just wrapped the books I had up in them.  No glue, no tape, just a simple cover that will come off easily once the season has passed.  I like the way they look for now.  I also am loving my Wendy Addison garland which I have had for a couple of years.  I've used it here and there, but I'm liking it on the mantel.


I have a very beautiful antique Victorian beaded firescreen that normally looks great, but since I was fluffing the mantel, it didn't look right.  Again, I went to my paper stash and made a little disguise which I just taped to the glass.  Once Halloween is over, it will get rolled up and stored away (or maybe reused on another project, who knows).  Kind of loving the crows right now. 


I wanted white pumpkins for the urns, but had a hard time finding them for a price I would pay ($6.99 a piece?  I think not.)   So, I used 6 little white and green pumpkins for 1/4 of the price and thought they were just fine.  Pardon the blurry picture-it is not so fine, but unlike my normal gazillion pictures of each thing, I apparently only took one of the urns.  :-(


On the other side of the room is one of my favorite places to foof up.  I found some cute free uploads of antique poison labels here and added them to some old bottles I picked up at an amazing sale a couple of weeks ago.  Colored water finished off the look.  I made it look like a drink station, adding some pretty glasses to the silver tray.  Love the way it turned out.  I couldn't resist more with the crow theme or Raven, if you will, and who better to preside over that than Edgar Allen Poe.



I picked up this cute little skeleton in the graveyard thing at the dollar store and added the banner from Graphics Fairy and the words, "Pick your poison".

Don't you love the hand painted feathers?  I got them from an estate sale a couple of years ago.


This white pumpkin is a faux which started out orange from Wal-Mart, but it took well to my foam brush and craft paint, so I was a happy girl.  If only I'd purchased 2 more for my urns...but that would have required forethought.  Not always my strong suit. :-(


My funny little stairs just needed the little mice, cut out from templates found here. I think they are cute, don't you?


Come back Thursday for my dining room tablescape.

I'm linking up with Kathleen and one of my favorite parties, White Wednesday.  I can't wait to spend a little time looking at all the dreamy whites.  What are you waiting for?  You will love it too!

Until next time,


 
Pin It!

17 comments:

  1. What an incredible WW post, I love those mice cut outs, how adorable. Then there's the gorgeous scrapbook paper wrapped around your books, so beautiful, Judy.

    And if I don't paint a pumpkin white this year, I'll scream, LOL

    What great inspiration here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the black and white!
    Thank you for popping by my place!
    Kerry at housetalkn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very tasteful Halloween decor! Love it!
    tot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice black and white decor. Love the Edgar Allen Poe vignette. The chippy white platform for your pumpkin cloche display is pretty yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks wonderful! I especially love the simple trick of covering your books AND using them to elevate pieces!

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well now I feel like a big ol' slug. I haven't done diddly and you've got your place looking spook-tacular!
    Deb
    P.S. I even bought some sticky mice thingys and they're still in the package. Bad, bad Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks fabulous, Judy!! I love the book covers and the pumpkin under the cloche!! Black and white is a great theme!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh how i adore these decorations for all hallow's eve! the pumpkin under the cloche with that chippy base is divine and i love how you've added the mice to your staircase! too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your wendy addison garland also love anything Wendy Addison really

    and love your black and white covered books
    also your fireplace screan . I have had a good time looking around and now i'm going to see how you made those cute little mice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Halloween decorations are so tastefully done... I loved seeing them all! Thank you for the inspiration ... ":o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Judy...Happy White Wednesday!

    Loving your black and whites...that's my kind of Halloween! Be back for more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all your clever touches Judy! White and black are so much better than orange and black. I would drink your poison and trip over your cute mice any old day. Such fabulous touches throughout - awesome mantel with the banner and baseball dude, too.
    Happy WW!
    - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know how I have not found you before--your blog is so pretty. I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a great job decorating for Halloween. Loved your idea of using only black and white. I've joined your followers so I can come back often!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the neutral palette! Thanks for linking up to The "Autumn Décor" Talent Scouting Party at WhisperWood Cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all your ideas, Great creativity! I have shared on my Pinterest! http://pinterest.com/refinedvintage/halloween-ideas/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading your comments.